MegaCon!!!

In spite of bearing certain interests and behaviors that have labeled me quite the "geek" or "nerd" throughout my life, I had never attended any kind of science fiction or comic book convention, until recently. This weekend, "MegaCon" is going on in central Florida, and in the spirit of both trying something new and just being a pal, I got to go for free while helping fellow artist Jeff Brennan work his comic signing table.

I do have to admit it was quite a fun experience to find myself in a sea of humanity comprised of quasi-celebrities, racially-divergent anime characters, hopeful media merchants and painted faces (often resembling the late Heath Ledger). I walked among them all, wandering about while eyeballing all sorts of cool and fun-looking collectibles that my broke ass can’t currently afford and have no real space for anyway. I’ve gotta say, it was pretty fun. Mind you, my heart went out to certain actors and models signing autographs, as if disparately squeezing D-list drops of fame, often from a time long past… and my eyes are still a bit scarred from certain (shall we say less spot-on) cosplayers who seemed not to know that wearing spandex and miniskirts are clearly entitlements and not unalienable rights… but thankfully, such unfortunate things were periodically redeemed by the folks contributing more successfully to the general sense of fun in the environment in ways much easier on humanoid hearts and eyes. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Tommy

Attention Kids: Don’t Drink Glass

Hawaiian Thanksgiving