Art Question for the Ladies



Do all chicks dig Monet?


Seriously... It seems, whenever I get into a conversation about artists with a woman (unless that woman is an artist herself) a huge percent of the time, the lady will say, "well, I like Monet" ...typically after some off-the-cuff comment about not getting Picasso or another abstract genius.

I know the work of Monet is pretty, but a lot of paintings are pretty. What's the deal?

Don't get me wrong, I have taught both Art and Art History and I have nothing against Monet. I know Monet, I get Monet, and even though he's not my cup of tea, I certainly don't dislike Monet ...but before I let this turn into a long oddball rant:

Could someone please tell me what is up with chicks and Monet?

Comments

Nesting Guest said…
Well, this chick isn't crazy about Monet. I've never been a fan of impressionism, actually. Van Gogh would be the exception for me, maybe Degas too, but Monet? I say "eh."

I guess that means I can't answer your question :-)

Sorry about the drunk dial by the way, but I should remind you, Andy is Andy regardless of his BAC.
enenmon said…
i like monet!! i think we sorta had this conversation b4? Haha... i think his paintings r dreamy, romantic... i mean the choice of his colours are usually in shades of lavander, turqouise... of gardens, ponds, skys...
haha!! remember the 'emotional cream' about a video clips you showed me before? monet's works has that kind of effect of 'making ppl go soft & gentle' LOL~~~ well, that's my personal view only of course.
Callie said…
Monet speaks to the heart of a woman. What women does not wish for that secret to be unopened?

~callie

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Tommy

Attention Kids: Don’t Drink Glass

Hawaiian Thanksgiving